If you are a homeowner or renter who initially received rental assistance from FEMA and home repairs are taking longer than expected, you may be eligible for additional rental assistance. You must provide FEMA with a completed Declaration of Continuing Need for Rental Assistance form, as well as other required paperwork to show you used your initial funds from FEMA to pay for new housing.

If you did not receive a declaration form in the mail, contact the FEMA Helpline to request one be mailed to you or request one in person at your nearest Disaster Recovery Center. For more information or to get answers to your questions about the FEMA process, call 800-621-3362 (including 711 or Video Relay). TTY users can call 800-462-7585. The toll-free numbers are open from 7 a.m. to 9 p.m. EDT every day. Multilingual operators are available.

Return the Declaration form with the paperwork to FEMA’s Individuals and Households Program by:

  • Mailing them to the National Processing Service Center, P.O. Box 10055, Hyattsville MD 20782-8055.
  • Faxing them to 1-800-827-8112.
  • Uploading them to your online account at DisasterAssistance.gov (or creating a new account at the website and uploading them to it).
  • Visiting any open Disaster Recovery Center. To find the center closest to you, visit fema.gov/DRC.