Midwives' Certificates

Request email notification when page changes E-Notify

            Midwives have been known by a variety of different names in America and abroad: nurse-midwives, granny-midwives, and lay-midwives. Men were typically excluded from childbirth in the late 1800's and early 1900's as it was viewed as improper and immodest for them to be present in the birthing room, or, the "laying-in" room. As such, midwives were present in the laying-in room to help women give birth, only summoning a physician, who was generally male, if the birth was going to be difficult. Montgomery County is fortunate enough to have some preserved midwives' certificates. These certificates were awarded to women through the Montgomery County Probate Judge after having passed a midwifery examination.

Midwives' Certificates

Midwives' certificates were presented to:

Maria Bathoni, 07 July 1908
Elizabeth Kunz, 05 July 1911
Mary Krivacs (Krivass), 02 January 1917
Katie Kotnyek, 01 July 1913
Louisa Hammel, 26 May 1896
A. Margaretha Schäfer, 10 June 1896
Johanna Leschanofsky, 21 September 1896
Wilhelmina Ernst, 30 September 1896
Tarr [?] Emrene, 17 July 1907
Lizzie Saume, 23 January 1911
Lena Rizza, 01 July 1913