Engaging Fathers, Linking them to Resource
Montgomery County Fatherhood Initiative (MCFI) is dedicated to engaging fathers and helping them play an important role in their children’s lives. It is managed by Fatherhood Director Michael Newsom. The program links fathers with resources to help their children thrive. MCFI can assist fathers in the following ways:
- Employment – MCFI works closely with employment services throughout Montgomery County to assist fathers in obtaining careers they can be proud of.
- Parenting time (Visitation) help – Our Fatherhood Director can link dads with the Volunteer Lawyers Project so they can file legal paperwork to establish visitation at minimal cost.
- License Reinstatement -- MCFI can help with getting license suspensions imposed by Child Support lifted and provide information on how to work with the BMV on other suspensions.
- Compromise or Removal of past-due child support -- MCFI has the authority to negotiate a compromise or complete a waiver of past-due support.
- Overcome Barriers from a Prior Conviction -- Criminal convictions can restrict access to jobs, housing and education. MCFI can help you understand and overcome these barriers through our close partnership with the Montgomery County Office of Reentry.
- Expectant fathers – MCFI partners with Public Health Dayton & Montgomery County to deliver the Every Parent Matters (EPM) program, which helps expectant fathers understand the importance of their involvement during their children’s mothers’ pregnancy. EPM employs male Certified Public Health Workers, who conduct home visits to holistically serve families and attempt to reduce the Infant Mortality rate. Learn more from this video.
- Job & Family Services Program Information – If you are a Child Support, Public Assistance, Workforce Development or Children Services customer, MCFI can help you navigate the system and get questions answered.
Children do best when both parents are positively involved in their lives. Those who do not spend significant time with their fathers can suffer many consequences, including:
- Five times more likely to live in poverty
- Three times more likely to fail in school
- Three times more likely to commit suicide
- Two times more likely to abuse drugs
Fathers have a big impact on the lives of their children.
- Ohio Commission on Fatherhood
- National Fatherhood Initiative
- Ohio Practitioners' Network of Fathers and Families
- Impact of Criminal Convictions
- Certificate of Qualification for Employment
Elevate Fatherhood Ohio Awareness & Training Event
The Importance of Parenting Time
Fathers play a critical role in ensuring happy, healthy children in our community. This event is designed to inspire and connect local dads with resources to be supportive parents. Registration details to come.