Request email notification when page changes E-Notify

Parties must meet all the requirements for a regular marriage license, plus: 

If the Bride is 16 or 17 years of age

- Both Parents of the minor must be present  (and have a US Government Photo ID) to take the oath, and sign the license. **   

  • Any of the following are acceptable means of a picture I.D.
    • A valid driver's license
    • A state ID.
    • Immigration and Naturalization Service (I.N.S.) Visa.
  • The Court requires a certified copy of the birth certificate for the minor.  A Social Security card, or verification of the social security number from the Social Security Administration, will be accepted.
  • All social security numbers are for identification purposes only and are held in confidence.

-A Pre-Marriage Counseling letter is required. This can be obtained through a licensed minister  or a counseling agency (see yellow pages for marriage counseling). Note: If the letter is from a minister, it must be on the church letterhead or church stationary.

-Both parties must have a US Government issued photo ID.  If a driver's license is not obtainable, the bride must have a State I.D.

-Both parties of the marriage must apply together in person.

  • If either or both parties are physically incapacitated, their physician must complete an affidavit stating the physical disability, and this affidavit shall be filed with the application for the marriage license.

-Bring $75.00 cash only to the courthouse for the cost of processing the marriage license.

-At least one party member must be a resident of Montgomery County.

  • If the applicant's address on the I.D. does not reflect that they live in Montgomery County, they need to bring proof that the actually do reside in the county.  
    Acceptable forms of proof are a utility bill, lease, pay stub, auto registration, etc.
  • The Court will also issue the license if neither of the applicants is a resident of the State of Ohio, but the marriage ceremony must take place in Montgomery County.

If the Bride is 15 or younger OR the Male is 17 or younger

- All of the above requirements must be met, AND…

- For minors of this age, if the female is pregnant or has just delivered a child, consent must also be obtained through Juvenile Court (225-4627).      
Typically, this is not granted unless the female is pregnant or had delivered a child out of wedlock. If she does receive permission, she needs to present the Probate Court with the Court  Entry signed by the Juvenile Court Judge. This does NOT take the place of parental consent.

** Notes Regarding Parental Consent

A minor must have both parents' consent unless he/she fits into the following classifications:

  • If parents are divorced - only the parent with custody has to come in and provide consent. He / she must bring the divorce decree proving custody.
  • If one parent is deceased - then the surviving parent may come to the Court and give consent.  The surviving parent must also provide a death certificate.
  • If parents are separated - there is an affidavit that is filled out by the parent still responsible for the minor. There are certain requirements for using this affidavit.
  • If either parent of a minor applying for a marriage license resides outside the County or State, their consent must be obtained by their appearance before a Judge of a COURT OF RECORD and consent, in writing, before said Judge, which consent will then be returned to the Marriage License Department.
  • A minor shall not be required to obtain consent of a parent who:
    • Resides in a foreign country.
    • Has neglected or abandoned the minor for a period of one year or longer immediately preceding the minor's application for a marriage license.
    • Has been adjudged incompetent.
    • Is an inmate of a state mental or correctional institution.
    • Has been permanently deprived of parental rights and responsibilities for the care of the minor and the right to have the minor live with the parent and to be the legal custodian of the minor by a court exercising juvenile jurisdiction
    • Or has been deprived of parental rights and responsibilities for the care for the minor and the right to have the minor live with the parent and to be the legal custodian of the minor by the appointment of a guardian of the person of the minor by the probate court or by another court of competent jurisdiction.

A minor may receive permission from someone other than a parent if he/she meets the following requirements:

  • If both parents are deceased - then the person(s) who has legal guardianship may give permission, but must show the guardianship papers to the Court.
  • The following may give permission if they have been awarded permanent custody of the minor by a court exercising juvenile jurisdiction:
    • An adult person if such person provides papers showing proof of custody.
    • The department of job and family services or any child welfare organization certified by the department
    • A public children services agency