The Court requires Petitioner(s) be statutorily married one (1) year before the finalization of the adoption
Criteria for Stepparent Adoptions
- Certified copy of child's birth certificate
- Certified copy of death certificate of spouse(s) or natural parent(s)
- Certified copies of divorce decrees of Petitioner and natural parent
- Certified marriage certificate
- Certified copies of support or custody orders (if applicable)
- Paternity results (if applicable)
- Notice of hearing will be served by Certified Mail, Sheriff or Process Server to legal parents if consent is not filed and address is known (Instructions for Service will be required stating recommended type of service). If address is unknown, the Affidavit and Entry for Publication will be required. If father is putative and the Ohio Putative
- Father Registry or another state's putative father registry applies, a Certification is required
- On the date set for hearing, the Petitioner(s) and child(ren) must appear in Court
- Petitioner must be available for a home interview by the assigned caseworker prior to the date of hearing.
- Everyone in the household 18 years of age or older must have a criminal background check. Please contact the Court for costs.
- All forms and requirements must be presented prior to the initiation of an adoption case