Request email notification when page changes E-Notify

Download our info sheet about the warning signs for abuse and neglect here

Children Services are committed to protecting children. Below are some frequently asked questions about child abuse. 

What is considered abuse or neglect?
Physical abuse is a nonaccidental physical injury to a child caused by a parent, caregiver or other person responsible for a child.

Neglect is the failure of a parent or other caregiver to provide for a child’s basic needs physically, medically, educationally or emotionally. 

Am I breaking the law if I spank my child?

No. There is a difference between spanking and abuse. Abuse results in physical injury; spanking should not. Children need some discipline in their lives which involves setting rules and boundaries. If those rules are broken, there should be consequences for their actions. Spanking is only one option for discipline.

Can a caseworker remove a child from my home?

No. If children are considered at risk and unable to stay safely in their home, Children Services caseworkers must get permission from the juvenile court judge to place a child in a foster home. If law enforcement is involved, an officer or deputy may also remove children and place them in the emergency care of Children Services. Because children are often traumatized when removed from their homes and families, Children Services prefers taking less drastic steps whenever possible such as placing the child with a relative or friend.

How can I help children in my community?

Give of your time, money or clothing to agencies or organizations that work with children and families. Get involved as a volunteer, mentor or advocate.

If you do suspect child abuse or neglect, it's important to report it by calling 937-224-KIDS (5437). You can remain anonymous. If you're worried a child may be in immediate danger, call 911. Reporting your concerns is not making an accusation; rather, it is a request for an investigation and assessment to determine if help is needed.