Information on Victim Compensation

The Ohio Victim Compensation Law was enacted to provide victims of violent crime with compensation for loss of earnings or support and medical expenses due to crime-related injuries. PROPERTY LOSS IS NOT COVERED.

A claim can be filed by a victim of a violent crime, and in the case of death, by a dependent of the victim. Victims of drunk drivers may now also apply. The program is designed to pay expenses which are not covered by insurance or other benefits. You may be able to use the money to pay:

  • Medical, medication and rehabilitation expenses;
  • Wages lost as a result of the crime;
  • Replacement service costs (the cost of services the victim can no longer perform);
  • Reimbursement for hearing aids, eyeglasses, dental appliances, canes, walkers, or wheelchairs;
  • Dependent's economic loss in death claims;
  • Funeral expenses; 
  • Psychological services;
  • Crime scene cleanup for personal security, such as doors and windows;
  • Cost to replace items taken as evidence.

You might be eligible if:

  • The crime occurred in Ohio or you are an Ohio resident and the crime occurred outside the state;
  • The crime was reported to law enforcement officials; 
  • You cooperate in the investigation and prosecution of the crime.

You must file within:

  • Three years after the crime occurred, if the victim was an adult; or
  • If the victim was a juvenile, must apply before 24th birthday.

The application may be filed through the Ohio Attorney General.  You may seek legal assistance with the filling out and filing of the claim and the attorney's fees are paid by the State of Ohio. You do not pay for this service.

To learn more about the program or receive an application, please contact the Victim / Witness Division at (937) 225-5623, or the Ohio Attorney General Crime Victims Services section at 1-877-584-2846 or at the Ohio Attorney General's website.