When Should I Contact?

Montgomery County Children Services.

Download our info sheet about the warning signs for abuse and neglect here

Many people find it difficult to determine when a call should be placed to Children Services about the welfare of a child.

Individuals need to call us when they first suspect any abuse or neglect of a child. The information provided is taken seriously and we want people to share their concerns. Calling anonymously is an option for those who are uncomfortable giving their names. However, it is helpful to have a name should we need more information to further assess the situation.

Child abuse takes many forms including physical, emotional, and sexual. Neglect is the failure to provide a child with the basic necessities of life, i.e., food, clothing, supervision, shelter, and medical care. Call 224-KIDS (5437) anytime day or night to report the alleged abuse.

If you've hidden your pregnancy and have no plans for your baby, don't panic. Do what's right for your child. Call HelpLink at 225-3000 and learn what resources are available to you. Ask about the Safe Haven Program for newborns.