• About Stillwater
  • Directions & Map
  • FAQ's
  • Job Openings
  • Links
  • Parents/Guardians
  • Stillwater History
  • News & Events
  •  

    Stillwater History

    STILLWATER CENTER HISTORY

     History Our long history of providing health services to the Miami Valley dates back to July of 1909, when the combined boards of Montgomery and Preble County Commissioners established funding to care for individuals suffering with tuberculosis.  This was the first such effort in the state.  The original building houses 24 clients.  The need for additional space and convenience quickly became apparent.
    The first of the new Structures known as Stillwater Sanatorium opened on April 25, 1918, and it housed 40 clients, followed in 1920 with the opening of the Beck Memorial Building which stood on the grounds until it was abolished in the summer of 1989. 
     
     History

    On September 1, 1938 the newest addition to the Stillwater Sanatorium was opened.  It was proclaimed as being state-of-the art in design and equipment to serve the needs of tuberculosis patients.  An addition was made to the facility in November of 1949, to provide for the communities increased need for tuberculosis care.

    Due to advancements in the treatment of tuberculosis in the 1960's, beds were beginning to be unoccupied.  Stillwater then redirected its focus to the emerging unmet long-term care needs of the community in 1968.  In that year 12 children from the community with Mental Retardation and Developmental Disabilities (MRDD) at the now Stillwater Health Center due to the States closing of a private boarding home.  This was the beginning of Stillwater's involvement in caring for persons with MRDD.

    In 1976 a license was approved to operate the Children's Building as a specialized care facility for 60 clients. The children were permanently placed in Stillwater's thirty-room, red, brick building that was constructed in 1949.  This building was known as Githens Hall, named after Lillian B. Githens a nurse, and former facility maintenance supervisor.  This building would be the home for the children for the next 18 years.  This building was subsequently abolished as well in the summer of 1989.

    On June 4, 1978 an open house was held for the community when the Emergency Shelter/Respite Care Center for persons with MRDD (located behind the original building) was dedicated as the new Transitional Home.  The Transitional Home was designed to minimize stress during the change from an institutional nursing home to a more home like living situation.  This helped the children prepare for a life in the mainstream of society.  This building would later be demolished to make room for the construction of the current facility.

    1982 brought about more changes for the facility.  The second floor of the Stillwater Health Center was opened and licensed to care for an additional 34 adults with MRDD.  The additional adults were later moved on March 28, 1990 to the third floor of the original 5 story building.

     History

    In the latter part of 1989, a decision was rendered by the Montgomery County Commissioners to only provide services for individuals with severe to profound MRDD.  On April 4, 1990 another dream came true when all of the residents from the Children's building were moved into the main building of Stillwater.  The main facility was renamed The Stillwater Center on May 9, 1990, and was licensed to provide care for 99 residents. 

    Construction of the current facility began in the spring of 2000, and had a projected move-in date of September 2002.  The current facility has 106,000 square feet and houses 106 beds, with a 30-bed main facility, two 8-bed homes and five 12-bed homes.  The homes were designed specifically for our resident population.  All services are provided on the ground floor; the homes are adjacent and interconnected with some private and mostly semi-private rooms.  Each home offers quality bathing and personal care areas, family and living/dining rooms.

    The main facility was renamed The Stillwater Center on May 9, 1990 and was licensed to provide care for 98 residents.  Currently, the center serves both children and adults with significant disabilities, of which 80% are adults.

    In January, 2009, Stillwater assumed management of the Adult Interim Care Home.  Previously operated by the Montgomery County Board of Developmental Disabilities Services, the home provides emergency and respite placements for up to 8 individuals at a time.  Admissions are for individuals with mental retardation and developmental disabilities.  The change in management allowed for reimbursement for some services through the medicaid system for this important service.  With the addition of the Adult Interim Care Home, Stillwater provides services to 106 - 112 residents and provides employment for over 200 Staff.