Montgomery County Children Services is located on land originally used as a children's home. In 1926, Dr. Charles Edward Shawen donated 20 acres of land to house 250 children. The new home was to alleviate some of the overcrowding at Dayton's Summit Street House, the first children's home permitted by the 1867 Ohio state legislature.
Ten cottages were opened in 1928. Children living at Shawen Acres (as the home was soon named) were required to learn trades and various crafts. By 1954, realizing that children thrive in a family-oriented setting, caseworkers began to place children in foster care. Due to dwindling numbers of children on site, Shawen Acres closed its doors as a children's home on February 26, 1977.
Since then, Montgomery County Children Services has operated with a staff of 380 people dedicated to protecting children and promoting families.
Haines Children's Center
The Montgomery County Children Services administration building was named in April 2001 as a tribute to the late Montgomery County Sheriff Gary Haines. Sheriff Haines served as the county's top law enforcement officer for 12 years. He passed away at the age of 50 following a lengthy battle with cancer.
The Haines Children's Center has 21 conference rooms, 16 visitation rooms, two medical examination rooms, an indoor playroom and a secured outdoor playground to better serve the children and families assisted by the agency.