While many of us enjoy a nice hot bath, infants and small children should always be bathed in warm water. Scalding is the leading cause of accidental death in the home for children under 4. Here are some tips to keep your child safe during bath time.
- Never leave your child unattended in the bathtub.
- If possible, adjust the thermostat on your water heater. The temperature should be set no higher than 125 degrees.
- Testing water with your hands is not enough. Check water temperature by lowering your forearm into the water.
- Install an anti-scald device.
- Install a bath mat or other non-slip material to prevent accidents.
- Place grab bars on side of tub for added safety.
- Make sure that all electrical appliances, such as curling irons and hair dryers are safely away from the water.