The Montgomery County Clerk of Courts and the Common Pleas Court, General Division announce the implementation of electronic filing for criminal cases effective March 4, 2013. The filing of criminal cases and subsequent pleading will now be required over the internet rather than paper delivered and filed in the courthouse.
The system is an integrated electronic filing and case management/document management solution that not only enables the transmission of documents to the Clerk’s Office in an electronic format, but also the transmission of XML Data to the Clerk’s case management system. By mandating electronic filing, the Clerk and Court can routinely use electronic documents for the management of business processes, for the creation and management of an electronic record, and as service on the parties involved.
Electronically filed documents constitute the official court record and have the same force and effect as paper documents filed by traditional means.
The e-filing solution:
- Enhances service delivery to litigants and the public;
- Eliminates repetitive and duplicative data entry and work flow processes;
- Improves existing and establishes enhanced internal reporting and controls;
- Creates a system that does not overburden the legal community with unnecessary fees;
- Reduces physical document storage needs.