• Treasurer's Profile
  • Questions & Answers
  • Real Estate Taxes
  • Pay Your Bill
  • Payment Options
  • Pre-Payment Options
  • Tax Liens
  • Investment Portfolio
  • Community Outreach
  • Foreclosure Sales
  • Refunds & Unclaimed Funds
  • Forms & Applications
  • News Room
  • Land Bank

    Questions & Answers

    QA bg



     What are Real Estate taxes?

    In the State of Ohio, real estate taxes are based upon the appraised value of property. Counties, cities, towns, villages, school districts, and special districts each raise money through real estate taxes.  Governments have the ability to levy taxes upon land located within their jurisdiction.  The money collected from taxes funds schools, pays for police and fire protection, maintains roads, and supports community services such as libraries and parks.

     Why did my taxes increase?

    Your property taxes may increase due to an increase in your effective tax rate. Tax rates may increase due to levies that are passed by election in your jurisdiction.  Your taxes may also increase when there is an increase in the appraised value of your property. 

     When are taxes due?

    Taxes are due twice a year - once in February, and once in July.  The due date varies; however, the due dates are normally in the middle of February and July. 

    How do I pay my real estate taxes?

    There are several payment options available:  cash, money order, check, electronic check, credit card, debit card, ATM card and more.  Please visit the Payment Information Center for details.

     How much penalty will I receive if I do not pay by the due date?

    A 5% penalty is applied to all unpaid first and second half payments through the last day in February and the last day in July.  A 10% penalty is applied to all unpaid first and second half payments on March 1 and August 1 

    If your taxes are more than one year past due, your property could be subject to a tax foreclosure or a tax lien sale.  For more information on the tax lien sale, please visit Tax Lien Sale.

     Is there a discount for paying my taxes in full for the year?

    No.  There is no discount for paying your full year tax bill in February.  The difference between the first and second half amounts are assessments.  Some assessments are paid on the first half tax bill only and not added on the second half tax bill.  

     What if I overpay my taxes?

    If you have overpaid your taxes, please visit the refund information page or call Taxpayer Services at 937-225-4010, Option 1. 

     My property value decreased, but my taxes increased.  Why is this?

    If the value of your property decreased, your taxes may still increase based on an increase of the effective tax rate.  This tax rate is changed based on levies that pass in the jurisdiction where your property is located. 

     How do I change my tax mailing address?

    According to Ohio law, all change of mailing address requests must be submitted in writing to the Montgomery County Treasurer.  If you wish to change the mailing address for real estate tax bills, please return a completed Change of Address form to our office.  You can call and request a Change of Address form at 937-225-4010, Option 1, or download the Change of Address form. 

     I received a tax bill but my mortgage company pays my taxes.  What do I do?

    Contact your mortgage company to make them aware that you received a copy of your tax bill.  If they are responsible for paying your tax bill, they will request a copy and pay the taxes. 

     How do I appeal the value of my property?

    You can file an appeal with the Auditor’s Office Board of Revision.  You can request the application be mailed to you by calling 937-496-6856.  The application must be filed between January 2 and March 31. All complaints filed with the Board of Revision are investigated and formal hearings may be held to solicit testimony.  It is the responsibility of the property owner to justify their complaint.  The Board of Revision has the authority to increase or decrease property valuation.  

     What is the Semi-Annual Property Charge?

    The Semi-Annual Property Charge is a charge for solid waste services.  Any questions can be directed to 937-225-4901. 

     I cannot pay my taxes.  Are there any programs available to help me pay my tax bill?

    The Treasurer’s Office does offer a delinquent payment plan.  Property owners entering into a monthly payment contract become current on their property taxes by paying toward all new taxes while paying off prior delinquent taxes, all without accruing additional interest and penalty.  Please come to the Treasurer's Office or call the office at 937-225-4010, Option 2 to speak with a Delinquency Specialist.     

     Can I pay my taxes monthly?

    The Treasurer’s Office offers a Prepayment Plan available to taxpayers who do not have past due taxes.  This plan allows taxpayers to prepay their taxes with monthly billing.  You can choose to mail in your payment or have it withdrawn from your account. If you are interested in a Prepayment Plan, please contact our office at 937-225-4010, Option 1 or complete the online payment application.

     My prepayment bill says Credit; do not pay.  Do I have to send in a payment?

    In February, taxpayers enrolled in a Prepayment Plan will receive a final statement that may indicate CREDIT; DO NOT PAY.  This is due to real estate taxes being estimated at the time first half payment coupons were mailed in August.  If a taxpayer has made all of their monthly payments, it is possible that they may have a credit.  It is not necessary to pay a bill that shows a credit.  The credit will be subtracted from the second half real estate tax bill and divided into the taxpayer's next five coupons (March-July). 

     When will I receive my new Prepayment coupons?

    Prepayment coupons are mailed to enrolled taxpayers at the beginning of March and the beginning of August.  

     When will I receive my new Delinquent Payment Plan coupons?

    You will receive your coupons when you set up your plan in the Treasurer’s office.  You may request new coupons if needed.  You will receive the next set of coupons in August.

     What is the charge to pay my taxes by credit/debit cards OR electronic check?

    There is a fee associated with certain payment methods. The fee to use a credit card is 2.35% of the total amount you are paying.  There is a fee of $3.95 to use a debit card.  There is a fee of $1.17 to make a payment by electronic check.  The fees are charged by the payment processing vendors, not by the Treasurer.  The Montgomery County Treasury does not retain any portion of the fees charged by its payment processing vendors. For more information on various payment methods available, please visit the Payment Information Center.  

     I do not understand my tax bill.  Can you explain it to me?

    Please visit How to Read Your Tax Bill. If you require further information, please do not hesitate to contact Taxpayer Services at 937-225-4010, Option 1.

     I would like an explanation of how my tax dollars are being distributed.  Could you explain this to me?

    You may contact the Montgomery County Auditor's office at 937-225-4326 or visit the Auditor's website for more detailed information.  After entering your parcel information and selecting the specific parcel you are researching, click on the LEVY DISTRIBUTION menu item on the left of the page.  

    How do I find out how much I paid in real estate taxes so that I can itemize this expense on my Federal Income Tax filing?

    If you pay your real estate taxes through an escrow plan with your mortgage company, the amount withheld will appear on the 1099 form sent to you by your mortgage company.  If you do not have financial records of payments you have made for real estate taxes, please call our office at 937-225-4010, Option 1.  The Treasurer’s office does not automatically mail out this information. You must call to request an itemization of payments made on real estate taxes.

    What is the Homestead Reduction Program? 

    The Homestead Reduction Program is available to any property owner age 65 or older OR any property owner who is totally and permanently disabled.  Only owner occupied (your primary residence) properties are eligible for the reduction.  For more information on this program, please click HERE.