What Are VA Burial Allowances?
VA burial allowances are partial reimbursements of an eligible veteran's burial and funeral costs. When the cause of death is not service-related, the reimbursements are generally described as two payments: (1) a burial and funeral expense allowance, and (2) a plot interment allowance.
Who Is Eligible?
You may be eligible for a VA burial allowance if:
- you paid for a veteran's burial or funeral AND
- you have not been reimbursed by another government agency or some other source, such as the deceased veteran's employer AND
- the veteran was discharged under conditions other than dishonorable.
In addition, at least one of the following conditions must be met:
- the veteran died because of a service-related disability OR
- the veteran was receiving VA pension or compensation at the time of death OR
- the veteran was entitled to receive VA pension or compensation, but decided not to reduce his/her military retirement or disability pay OR
- the veteran died in a VA hospital, in a nursing home under VA contract, or while in an approved state nursing home.
How Much Does VA Pay?
Service-Related Death. VA will pay up to $2,000 toward burial expenses for deaths on or after September 11, 2001. VA will pay up to $1,500 for deaths prior to September 10, 2001. If the veteran is buried in a VA national cemetery, some or all of the cost of transporting the deceased may be reimbursed.
Nonservice-Related Death. VA will pay up to $300 toward burial and funeral expenses, and a $300 plot-interment allowance for deaths on or after December 1, 2001. The plot-interment allowance is $150 for deaths prior to December 1, 2001. If the death happened while the veteran was in a VA hospital or under VA contracted nursing home care, some or all of the costs for transporting the deceased's remains may be reimbursed.
Burial Benefits include:
- Burial in national cemeteries
- Presidential Memorial Certificates
- Military funeral honors
- Burial allowance
- Flags to drape caskets of deceased veterans
- Headstones and markers
The Department of Veterans Affairs does not provide honors at national cemeteries.
For the Dayton National Cemetery call 262-2115