Connecting the Dots is a multi-county initiative that connects the Montgomery County Job and Family Services Workforce WIA Youth program and their Children Services Division Independent Living program in collaboration with the Big Brothers Big Sisters of the Greater Miami Valley Mentoring Program.
The Connecting the Dots program involves six major components that include:
1) Youth voice and engagement,
2) Pregnancy prevention education,
3) Educational supports (tutoring, dropout prevention, graduation test prep, etc.),
4) Career exploration, work readiness, and work experience (before HS graduation),
5) Vocational mentoring, and
6) Coordinated delivery of services.The goal of the program is to improve educational and employment outcomes of youth aging out of foster care while building capacity among youth service providers to support foster care youth as they emancipate from the system. The hallmark of this program is that it is youth driven with youth fully engaged in the process.