Winter can be fun, but snow and ice can make life
more complicated. Play it smart and prepare for bad weather before
it hits. See the information below for ideas.
Before bad weather hits:
- Add rock salt, sand, and a shovel to your emergency kit.
- Plan how you will heat your home if power goes out
- Winterize your car, including updating your car emergency kit
- Winterize your home, including refreshing your emergency kit
- Test carbon monoxide and smoke alarms.
| During bad weather:
- Stay indoors as much as possible. If going outside,
- Keep dry, and change clothing when it becomes wet.
- Avoid overexertion when shoveling snow.
- Remain alert for signs of frostbite or hypothermia.
- If you must drive, stick to the main roads. Let someone
For more winter weather tips, check out ready.gov.